An index of Internet resources and web sites on the topic of virtual communities
- The WeLL Described as "one of the oldest and most unique virtual communities" by Bruce Overby.
- An index of Computer-Mediated Communications (CMC) resources. Maintained by John December and Andrew Dinsdale.
- CMC Magazine Current issue of a leading journal concerned with computer-mediated communications.
- Howard's Site - BrainStorms Howard Rheingold's home page, author of The Whole Internet Catalog and the world's leading authority on the issues and implications of virtual communities. Links to many resources.
- "Are Virtual Communities Harmful to Civil Society?" by Howard Rheingold.
- "A Slice of Life in my Virtual Community" by Howard Rheingold.
- Virtual Worlds Resources by Howard Rheingold. A compilation of resources on the topic.
- "Virtual Reality" by Luke Sheneman. Discussion of the issue of "virtual reality" and its implications for virtual communities.
- "Virtual Communities: Abort, Retry, Failure?" by Jan Fernback and Brad Thompson.
- Bruce Overby's virtual communities resources
- "Electropolis: Communication and Community on Internet Relay Chat" A 1991 honors thesis by Elizabeth Reid, described as a "must read" by Rheingold.
- "Netizens Netbook": Table of Contents by Michael Hauben and Ronda Hauben.
- "From VTR to Cyberspace: Jefferson, Gramsci and the Electronic Commons" by Marc Surman. Critical theory and analysis on the political and social impact of Internet-related activism.
- An Alliance for Computers and Writing Project Building Authentic Communities in Virtual Spaces.
- Intentional Communities "A collection of local to global networking associations, groups creating, promoting, studying, and doing community in its many forms, and other aligned organizations and projects."
- Life on
the Screen: Identity in the Age of the Internet by Sherry Turkle.
Return to Virtual
This document was created and is maintained by the Virtual Communities group in Howard Besser's ILS 604
class (Winter 1996).