Creative Arts Discussion Group
This page is part of Howard Besser's Impact/distance learning class taught in Ann Arbor, Michigan and Berkeley,
Purpose: The Creative Arts Group discusses topics where the arts
and technology interest. In our inital meeting we decided to investigate the
- How technology is changing the way composers and performers create
music. Who is the audience?
- How people will view art works via computers rather than in the
"traditional" setting of museums. Will it make a difference?
- How is Hollywood depicting the explosion of technology in its films? What
view of the future do they foretell?
The online discussion of this group can be found on this newsgroup.
- Time Machine
- The Jetsons
- War Games
- Articles and Books
- We have decided that keeping with the technological aspect of this course, we will look at only articles available on the World Wide Web. This is because we wish to discuss the most current articles.
- Internet Resources
- Prof. Margaret L McLaughlin (Professor of Communication at the Annenberg School of Communication at the University of Southern California) has written many interesting articles on the state of art and technology. Her article Not Waiting for the Information Highway: Art Galleries on the World was the topic of discussion at our group meeting on Tuesday, March 7, 1995. A very interesting article. Those interested in this article might be inclined to look at her Home Page to find other relevant documents on art and the Internet.
- As mentioned in one of our groups news postings, the Fractual music project is located here
- At our next meeting, we intend to look at documents dealing with music and the Internet. Stay tuned!
Other interesting Creative Arts Materials
- The Music Library at the University of Michigan is leading the way in which libraries are providing information via the Internet.
- In the coming weeks, John Powell will complete his project for this class which will provide subject access to music resources on the Internet. Please be sure to check it out!
This group meets on Tuesdays at 7 pm at either John or Cathy's house. If you are interested in attending, please send John or Cathy a message.
Created by John Powell /email@example.com
Updated March 8, 1995