I. The Techno-Utopian Perspective
II. Growing Up Digital: The Future
of Children and Learning
III. Learning as "Edutainment"
IV. The Marketing and Commodification of Education
V. Cutting Through the Techno Hype: Questioning
VI. Critical Consequences of Technology (Virtual
VII. Global Perspectives on Technology
(Imperialism, and the Have and Have Nots)
VIII. Technology, Libraries, and Learning
IX. Museums as Learning Institutions
SCHEDULE OF DISCUSSIONS
Impact of New Information Resources:
Multimedia and Networks, Fall 1998
Luis de la Garza
Our focus group approaches the topic of technology and education in a
broad manner. That multimedia technology is changing the way that people
learn and communicate is undeniable. We examine how electronic media influence
educational trends and developments and how these in turn are changing
the very fabric of society and human interaction.
This entails looking at the cultural impact of technology and its influence
on schools and other public institutions of learning—such as libraries
and museums. We examine both optimistic and pessimistic perspectives.
The optimistic or "techno-utopian" perspective suggests that
new technologies are enhancing and improving educational opportunities.
In contrast, the pessimist is alarmed that electronic technology is destroying
the way humans optimally learn to read and communicate. Our discussion
also considers other in-between views that exist.
We also examine:
- How education and literacy are generally seen in today’s literature,
i.e., educational models, concepts.
- What are the implications of technology on learning patterns and trends.
- How classrooms are adopting these emerging technologies.
- How new technologies are changing the way that students approach education.
- What is the future of distance learning in home schooling and higher
- How educational trends can be influenced through a critical consciousness.
- What expectations are held for the education field.
- What scenarios between business and technology-driven education are
developing and what are their implications.
- What are the economic barriers related in adopting new technologies.
- What are the social consequences of techno-economic inequities.
Along the way, we have discussed current newspaper and journal articles
that are relevant to the topic of technology and education.