Collections & WWW Digital Images
This outline was prepared for a presentation given by Howard
Besser to the University of Michigan Library's Special Collections Department
on Nov 9, 1995. The presentation covered issues to take into consideration in
deciding whether to put photographic images up on the WorldWide Web. Note:
Some links may not be available outside the University of Michigan campus.
Broad Advantages & Disadvantages
Mounting Images at Michigan vs elsewhere
What do other Institutions do?
Unauthorized image use
- Elimination of credit line
- Use for commercial purposes
- Someone else implying ownership
- Maintaining the Integrity of the Image
Effect on the Department
- Creating/Maintaining a WWW site
- Wear and tear on the images
- Handling external requests for Special Collection images
- Increase or decrease in requests to see originals?
Intellectual Property Issues
Licensing to the Private Sector
- No Easy Money by Geoff Samuels (firstname.lastname@example.org), a report on museum options for licensing their content to others
- Content Vendors
Long Term Issues